Monday, February 6, 2012

A Mother's Tears

My Mom and I went out to the local market today to look for some stuff for me to bring back to Auckland. About two more weeks to go....sigh....can't decide if I'm excited or sad to be honest...

I'm so worried about my Mom...I mean, I've always been worried, but things have been really tough on her lately...I wonder if she and Dad will be okay once I leave...

Today, after we got back from the market (mind you, it was DAMN hot!), we were exhausted and after we changed, my Mom and I decided to lie down for a bit before she gets lunch ready. And while we're lying down, one of my sisters called. 
The conversation seemed fine (it was rather cheery than usual even), but all of the sudden, my Mom started reminiscing about her childhood. To be honest, this sort of thing is pretty normal. I've listened to the same stories over and over again ever since I was a kid...

But today, she was telling me about the story back when she was in Indonesia as a kid, during the rough times when my Mom, her little sisters and my grandparents hadn't enough money to even afford a cup of rice. So they basically had to eat tapioca (sprinkled with only sugar) for over two weeks - so that's three meals of tapioca a day...

My Mom actually has nine siblings altogether. Two of her eldest sisters passed away when she was still little, so she basically grew up with four older and two younger sisters - she was the seventh. But during that time (above), all of her sisters were already married, and she herself was about to marry my Dad. Still, none of her married sisters offered anything to help my Grandparents...until one day, my Mom went to one of her sisters (the one before than her) and asked for help. Surprisingly, my Aunt didn't even realize that her sisters were starving when she was living a happy married life on the other side of the town. So my Aunt helped out by bringing some food to my Grandparents and things were okay......
but that meal was actually the last meal she prepared for my Grandpa...he passed away, the day after.


And after my Mom finished her story, all of the sudden
SHE CRIED


I've listened to this story thousands of times before but she never cried...
And I couldn't do anything to stop the tears....

I know she's worried about my sisters...we're not rich, and we've nobody else but us...and she's getting old, Dad's getting old...and yet,.......sigh....I dunno....


If only photos are 'true'...I'd take as many happy photos of us as I can so I'd never see those tears again.

No comments:

Post a Comment