Wednesday, September 21, 2011

No, I'm not a PHOTOGRAPHER

No, taking photos with a camera heavier than a bowl of rice, doesn't make you a photographer.

So no, I'm definitely not a photographer.

I used to think, "I wanna be a well-known female photographer!" . But seriously, WHY???

I like taking photos, that's definitely something even I myself can't deny, but no, I don't really want to be a photographer

The only reason why I thought the way I did was because I was frustrated at the fact that everyone around me who were able to take great photos using huge cameras were guys!

"It's an insult to modern society," was what I really thought........ 
I didn't like to admit that girls are not good with mechanical things like cameras! I wanted to show others that girls can understand about all those technical terms like 'aperture', 'shutter speed', 'ISO', 'white balance', 'shooting in RAW', 'lighting', 'HDR' bla bla bla bla.....
I just wanted people to see that girls can also do it!

Pretty feminist-sounding there, aye?

But really, I'm no feminist. On the contrary, I hate those "this is unfair bla bla bla" "rights for XXX bla bla bla"
I find it senseless sometimes....but yeah, there're also agreeable fights for justice done, but generally, I'm not a big fan for those kind of movements

Ok, that's a bit off topic!

The thing is, I've always loved taking photos. I started off with phone cameras then moving onto a regular digital camera and so on. I love to document my daily life, or the things that happen around me using photos. 
Y'know what they say, "WHY DON'T U TAKE A PICTURE? IT LASTS LONGER!". 
Indeed, why not huh?

So to be honest, I don't really like it when people refer to me as, 'the photographer'. I mean, it's really rude to label someone like me as a photographer when there are thousands of people out there who had to spend 3 - 4 years in uni, learning about all the tidsy-bits of photography just to get that title. I barely had my 400D for a year, I'm definitely no photographer.

That's also the reason why I never ask to be paid. The fact that people want me to take their photos is already an honour for me. If they think the photos I took were worth paying, then I'll be glad to accept it, but if not, then I would say that my work is not satisfactory enough and I have to learn a lot more so that people will think, "wow, I want to buy that from you! How much?" out of their own will. 

Plus, what kind of photographer walks around with one lens? Not only that, a cheap 50mm plastic and a kit-lens!

Man, I'm ashamed to be called a photographer....

No comments:

Post a Comment